Feb 27, 2011

Olivier Audience Award Nominees Announced!



2011 Laurence Olivier Award is just right around the corner and one of the categories presented on this March 13th is the BBC Radio 2 Olivier Audience Award which gives us theatregoers a chance to vote for our favourite West End show. From 14 shows, the list is now narrowed down to only 4 shortlisted productions.

Billy Elliot: The Musical (at the Victoria Palace Theatre) is a musical based on the 2000 film of the same name about a boy who wants to become a ballet dancer. It opened in London in 2005 and won 4 Olivier Award that year including Best Musical and will celebrate its 6th anniversary this March. The musical has gone on to be a big hit on Broadway since 2009 as well. Its reputation has grown so much and I can't believe that I have never seen it yet. The reviews I've heard from people are pretty mixed so I'm very much looking forward to seeing it some time this year to witness it for myself. 

Jersey Boys (at the Prince Edward Theatre), premiered in London in 2008 after its Broadway opening in 2006, is a 'jukebox' musical based on the music and the story of Franki Valli and the Four Seasons. Argubly, it is one of the best musical experiences I've had having seen it in Las Vegas with a really superb cast and the music and the book was just amazing. 

Les Miserables (at the Queen's Theatre) is a musical that needs no introduction. Today, it is the longest-running musical in the West End with a grand celebration marking its 25th birthday last year. I have the great chance of seeing the show in the West End back in 2003 at the Palace and very recently at the Queen's Theatre plus a DVD recording of the O2 concert. After all these years, it still proves to be going as strong as ever.

We Will Rock You (at the Dominion Theatre) is probably the weakest candidate is this group. A futuristic fictional musical about the world where music is banned based on the songs by Queen has its opening on the West End in 2002. It is the only musical in the list that has never played on Broadway. I'm actually surprised at how long it has been playing (8 years+) and how it beats other productions to be in the final. I saw its shortened version in Vegas back in 2005 and wasn't impressed much but, to not be biased, I might need to check it out again in its full form. I don't think it has much hope at the award but this really shows that it still holds a very strong fanbase.

Last year's winner, Wicked, is excluded from the list but will be at the event to hand over the award to one of the four nominees this year.

Some tough decision to make. I'll go cast my vote now and will have my fingers crossed for my favourite. What's yours? Cast your vote at http://www.olivierawards.com/vote/

No comments:

Post a Comment