Nov 9, 2011

Review: We Will Rock You

Musical: We Will Rock You [UK Tour]
Venue: Grand Theatre, Leeds, UK
Date: 2nd November 2011 at 14:30
Cast: Noel Sullivan (Galileo), Amanda Coutts (Scaramouche), Earl Carpenter (Kashoggi), Ashley J. Russell (Killer Queen), Leon Lopez (Brit), Jenny Douglas (Meat) and Ian Reddington (Pop)
Rating: ***

Review:
My first experience with We Will Rock You, a jukebox musical based on the hit songs of Queen, was when I saw the 90-minute version in Las Vegas and though I can't remember much about it, I remember that I wasn't too fond of the show. However, with every show in Leeds almost sold out plus its recent win as Most Favourite Long-Running Musical at the latest Olivier Award over Les Miserables, Phantom and Billy Elliot, I became more eager to see the show in its full form and also it's been months since I have last visited the Grand Theatre in Leeds so I'm quite looking forward to going back.

On the plus side, the show was full packed with rocking music and strong performers. Even you're not a fan of Queen, you can still enjoy all the brilliantly performed music from the first "Innuendo" to the very last "Bohemian Rhapsody". It is obvious that the British audience simply loves Queen so much and they all enjoyed every single bit of the show despite having such a horrible storyline (except a few younger members of the audience). I really doubt if the show would sell on Broadway and maybe that's the reason it never made it there.

As Scaramouche, Amanda Coutts was amazing and I enjoyed her performance a lot. Her comedic timing was great and her singing was top-notch! Noel Sullivan was our Galileo and his portrayal of the role was very different from the original Tony Vincent. To me, he resembled Troy Bolton (from High School Musical) meets Princeton (from Avenue Q) a lot while his costume and hairdo in the whole first act made me think of Danny Zuko in Grease a lot (and as I looked in the programme, he did play Danny Zuko before!). I guess he just lacked the personality and look of an outcast a bit but he did portray the weirdo side of Galileo really well. Overall, I think he did quite well with the material he was given and his singing was damn good! And when the two came together in duets like "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "Hammer to Fall", they were awesome!


Amanda Coutts as Scaramouche
during her guitar solo just before "We Will Rock You"

Noel Sullivan as Galileo Figaro
at the end of "I Want to Break Free"
I was surprised to find Earl Carpenter in the cast. As Kashoggi, he played the role really well and it really showcased his acting ability and proved that he could also handle a lighter role beside The Phantom, Javert and Juan Peron. I just love the sarcasm and cockiness in his voice and he delivered the jokes well. However, I found that his singing was not as strong as when I saw him in Evita. It was probably due to the genre of the music. He was obviously struggling through the higher notes in "A Kind of Magic" but his "Seven Seas of Rhye" was pretty neat. As Killer Queen, we got past BBC's I'd Do Anything finalist, Ashley J. Russell who also sang and acted well. Her attitude was also just right for the role. Though most of the Killer Queen's songs made no sense to the storyline, it would have been great if they let her sang "Don't Stop Me Now" in its full form. The song got such great cheer from the audience during its intro. I also enjoyed Ian Reddington's performance as Pop a lot. Despite his minimal stage time, he was able to deliver some of the show's best jokes and his comedic timing was great.

Ashley J. Russell and Earl Carpenter
as Killer Queen and Commander Kashoggi
during "A Kind of Magic"

Ian Reddington as Pop the Librarian
during "These Are the Days of Our Lives"
Leon Lopez and Jenny Douglas were a bit less impressive as the bohemians "Brit" and "Meat" but still a pretty darn good performance. I found Leon's jokes a bit tiring and went on a little bit too long but his singing was really good as can be heard from his "I Want It All". Jenny Douglas had a pretty big shoes (of Kerry Ellis) to fill and I think she was all right but I was a little bit disappointed with her "No One But You". It's not that she sang it badly but I guess I was just looking forward to hearing that song so much and the original Meat Kerry Ellis sang it so well. Also, I could do with a little less model posing from Jenny Douglas.

Leon Lopez and Jenny Douglas
as Brit and Meat during "I Want It All"
 I was very impressed with the sets and the costumes. I think it was very well done for a touring production. The projection used in the show was also very beautiful and effective. I've always loved the projection at the opening and how it's set to Freddie Mercury's "Innuendo". I also really like how they use the projection during "Headlong" as they "descended" into the Heartbreak Hotel. It really made you feel like the stage was really moving. Great job there! I also found the laser cage pretty neat. 
"Somebody to Love" with Amanda Coutts and Ensemble
The downside of the show was obviously its book. I think the show had an okay plot, to be honest and it made some clever and funny reference to the pop culture. I also noticed how the jokes changed from when I saw the show in Vegas back in 2005. But how the plot was executed into the storyline was just poor and how the songs were incorporated into the storyline was even poorer. But We Will Rock You was saved solely by the iconic and fantastic songs of Queen that the British audience love so much. I admit that despite the poor storyline, I was rocked and entertained by pretty much every song in the show and with such brilliant performances from this strong company, it was not hard to enjoy We Will Rock You at all. 

The best moment in the show for me was the last 15 minutes when they decided to abandon the plot (to my disappointment), end the show and make way for the Queen medley of "We Will Rock You", "We Are the Champion" and the iconic "Bohemian Rhapsody". The medley showcased how strong the cast were but at the same time, it showed how the show might have worked better as a tribute concert rather than a musical as it is.

Amanda Coutts, Noel Sullivan and Ian Reddington
on their bike to the Wembley Stadium
Nevertheless, despite all my rants above, I was still able to enjoy the show and so was the almost-sold-out Grand Theatre audience. I can't fully say that I would recommend this show to anyone or that I would go back to see it anytime soon. But if you're a fan of Queen, you definitely need to check the show out. My advice is ignore the story, let yourself go with the music and you'll have, I guarantee, a great night out at We Will Rock You. I did!

"Radio Ga Ga"
We Will Rock You is currently playing at the Leeds Grand Theatre until 26 November 2011.

SONG LIST
ACT ONE
Innuendo... Freddie Mercury and Ensemble
Radio Ga Ga... Ga Ga Kids
I Want to Break Free... Galileo and Scaramouche
Somebody to Love... Scaramouche and Teen Queens
Killer Queen... Killer Queen and Yuppies
Play the Game... Killer Queen and Yuppies
Under Pressure... Galileo and Scaramouche
A Kind of Magic... Killer Queen, Kashoggi and Yuppies
I Want It All... Brit, Meat and Ensemble
Headlong... Brit, Meat, Galileo, Scaramouche and Ensemble
No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)... Meat and the Bohemians
Crazy Little Thing Called Love... Meat, Brit, Galileo, Scaramouche and the Bohemians
Ogre Battle... Band

ACT TWO
One Vision... Ga Ga Kids
Who Wants to Live Forever... Galileo and Scaramouche
Flash... Police and Captive Bohemians
Seven Seas of Rhye... Kashoggi, Police and Bohemians
Fat Bottomed Girls... Killer Queen
Don't Stop Me Now... Killer Queen
Another One Bites the Dust... Killer Queen
Hammer to Fall... Galileo and Scaramouche
These Are the Days of Our Lives... Pop and Bar Patrons
We Will Rock You... Galileo and Ensemble
We Are the Champions... Galileo and Ensemble
We Will Rock You (Fast Version)... Band
Bohemian Rhapsody... Galileo, Scaramouche, Kashoggi, Killer Queen and Ensemble 

2 comments:

  1. I saw this play on Wednesday, and I think that your comments are a little harsh- I thought that Jenny Douglas did a great job a meat- also me and my friends found Leon Lopez to be very entertaining. I haven't seen a touring musical with such good affects. Also i do not understand what you mean when you said that the plot was abandoned at the end because it wasn't they tied in the title song perfectly relative to the story line. Overall I thought the production was excellent and I urge people to go and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog and I guess that was just how I felt about the show. I didn't think that Leon Lopez and Jenny Douglas were horrible, just not up to what I had in mind. I agree with you that the effects in this production was really good, esp. for a touring production. Still, I felt that the ending was just way too easy after all the plots they have tried to put together. Overall, I still enjoyed the show a lot but just not one of my favorites, i guess.

    ReplyDelete