Jan 3, 2011

Review: Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera
Date: 1st January 2011
Venue: Her Majesty's Theatre, London
Cast: John Owen-Jones (Phantom), Tabitha Webb (alternate Christine), Oliver Eyre (u/s Raoul) and Wendy Ferguson (Carlotta)
Rating: *****


Review: What would be a better way to ring in the new year than revisiting The Phantom of the Opera at its original theatre in London. After my visit to Tkts, I've got myself a seat in the stalls, third row, centred plus John Owen-Jones as The Phantom. What more could you ask for than that??


The main reason that I really wanna see this production now is because John Owen-Jones is returning to the role of the Phantom. He was arguably the best one in that role. His "Music of the Night" was just beyond beautiful and his interpretation of the role was even better than the first time I saw him. Though, I feel that he was a bit too over-emotional in the final scene but beside that, he was fantastic.


Tabitha Webb as Christine in The Point of No Return
Tabitha Webb was my Christine. She was lovely and very cute to look at. We got understudied Raoul and he was just so-so for me and the way he sang some verses was very unnatural. Another surprise was when I found out that Wendy Ferguson would be playing Carlotta. I remember that the first time I saw Phantom, she was an understudy but I liked her very much and is very glad to know that she has stepped up to the "full-time" Carlotta now and she was a wonderful singer, actress and her comic timing was perfect.


The production was still as breathtaking as the first time I saw it and the chandelier crash was fun and with my seat in centred stalls, I had a great view of it coming down on my head. I actually like it better than the Vegas production :)

One funny thing was that the last time I saw Phantom there, the noose that was tied around Raoul's neck towards the end wasn't working. To my surprise, it still didn't work again this time. How coincident! Overall, it's a great day out for me.

Phantom seducing Christine during The Music of the Night

John Owen-Jones as the unmasked Phantom towards the final scene


MUSICAL NUMBERS
Act One
Prologue
Overture
Dress Rehearsal of Hannibal
Think of Me
Angel of Music
Little Lotte.../The Mirror
The Phantom of the Opera
The Music of the Night
I Remember.../Stranger Than You Dreamt It...
Magical Lasso
Notes
Prima Donna
Il Muto/Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh...
Why Have You Brought Us Here.../Raoul, I've Been There...
All I Ask of You
All I Ask of You (Phantom's Reprise)


Act Two
Entr'acte
Masquerade/Why So Silent...
Notes (Reprise)/Twisted Every Way...
Rehearsal for Don Juan Triumphant
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
Wandering Child.../Bravo, Monsieur!...
Don Juan Triumphant/The Point of No Return
Down Once More.../Track Down This Murderer...

No comments:

Post a Comment