Jan 1, 2011

Theatre Resolution 2011

As 2010 came to an end, it's time to look forward to what's out there in 2011. Other people might put together a list of their new year's resolution. For me, I've put together my little list of new year's THEATRE resolution, i.e. the shows that I have hoped to see in 2011 and we'll see how many shows I have made it to when 2011 ends.


At the Leeds Grand Theatre
Let's start with the shows at the theatre in my current city.
They have lined up an awesome list of musicals:

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
22-26 March 2011 
[UK Tour starring Any Dream Will Do's runner-up Keith Jack]
"A biblical story of a dream interpreter, Joseph, who was sold to be a slave in Egypt and worked his way up to be the Pharaoh's man. Great music and fun story. I'm not a big fan of Keith (think Lee Mead is better) and I've seen a couple of Joseph productions but the hype about the UK Tour was so strong so I am curious to find out how good it will be and whether it will be better than when I saw it in London 7 years ago."

The Sound of Music
7-25 June 2011
[UK Tour starring Jason Donovan as Captain Von Trapp]
"Definitely a musical theatre classic. How can you not love a show with so many memorable classics plus you have Jason Donovan as Captain Von Trapp. If only Connie Fisher is in this one!"

Footloose: A Dance Musical
27 June - 2 July 2011
[UK Tour]
"This is a musical based on the 1984 film starring Kevin Bacon about a teenager from Chicago who moves to a town where dancing and rock music are banned. The cast recording doesn't attract me much but since it's coming to Leeds anyway, why not check it out?"

Evita
5-16 July 2011 
[UK Tour]
"I've seen this production before in Manchester at The Lowry last year...
Not that I MUST see it but if anyone wants to see it, I don't mind going along.."

Blood Brothers
18-23 July 2011 
[UK Tour starring X Factor's Niki Evans]
"I missed Niki Evans when I saw it in the West End last year.
Though her understudy didn't disappoint me at all. The whole musical was just so-so to me but the ending was so powerful! Would love to see Niki's take on it"

Jekyll & Hyde
25-30 July 2011 
[UK Tour starring Wet Wet Wet's Marti Pellow]
"I'm so glad I didn't book the ticket to see this in Manchester because it comes to my city!! I know many people loath Jekyll & Hyde but I think it's a fun story with relatively good music. I've seen this the first time when I was in Tennessee more than 10 years ago. Let's see if the UK production is any better than the US one plus it boasts Wet Wet Wet's very own leading man."

We Will Rock You
1-26 November 2011 
[UK Tour]
"A jukebox musical based on the music of Queen. I've seen a shortened version of this in Las Vegas and am curious to watch the full-length show. The storyline is very cheesy about a futuristic world where music is banned and a man is trying to save it. The highlights of the show are supposed to be the music with famous Queen's hits like We Will Rock You, We Are the Champion, and Bohemian Rhapsody."


Over to York's Grand Opera House
Last year I have made a couple of visits to York's theatre to see Spamalot and Beyond the Barricade. This year they're bringing in another musical concert.


Direct from the West End: Your Favourite Musicals Live in Concert
23 January 2011
"Planned to be my after-exam treat! A concert of songs from the West End musicals sung by the stars of the West End led by current Eponine in Les Miserables, Samantha Barks, plus a lot more professional singers from Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera and more.."

Hopping on the Train to Manchester
Manchester always provides a great list of musicals to see and it seems like many new or touring musicals often choose to start here. So here are my Manchester's wish list for 2011

Elaine Paige in Concert
6 March 2011 at the Bridgewater Hall
"Already got ticket!! A concert by the actress who originated the role of Eva Peron in Evita
and Grizabella (the cat who sings Memory) in Cats."

Ghost: The Musical
28 March - 14 May 2011 at the Opera House
[World Premiere]
"First staging of the romantic movie-turned-musical in Manchester before it transferred to London in June. Curious about its production design and music by U2"

Sister Act: The Musical
29 September - 15 October 2011 at the Opera House
"Supposed to be a good, fun musical based on a film starring Whoopi Goldberg. Missed it when it was in London. Looking forward to it."

South Pacific
25 October - 5 November 2011 at Palace Theatre
"A transfer production from Broadway. Another must-see production of the year!!"

What's on in the West End?
My year in England would never be complete without a visit to the West End! Last year I have seen Love Never Dies, Oliver!, Blood Brothers, Legally Blonde and got to revisit two of my most favourite musicals Avenue Q and Les Miserables. Here are what I look forward to seeing if I am ever in London this year:

Billy Elliot: The Musical
at the Victoria Palace Theatre - open-ended run

Ghost Stories
at the Duke of York's Theatre - until 26 June 2011
(I know it's not a musical but I just wanna see it!)

Love Story: The Musical
at Duchess Theatre - until 30 April 2011

Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz
at the London Palladium Theatre - opening 1 March 2011 

Shrek: The Musical
at Theatre Royal Drury Lane - opening 14 June 2011

Broadway, Here I come!
Since I'll be meeting up with my brother in New York this April, I have made myself some Broadway resolution as well :)

La Cage aux Folles
at Longacre Theatre
(starring Harvey Fierstein, Jeffrey Tambor and Wilson Jermaine Heredia)

Mary Poppins: The Musical
at New Amsterdam Theatre
(starring Laura Michelle Kelley and Gavin Lee)

Memphis: The Musical
at Shubert Theatre
(Tony Winner! starring Chad Kimball and Montego Glover)

American Idiot
at St. James Theatre
(with original Cast John Gallagher, jr., Stark Sands and more..)

Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark
at Foxwoods Theatre

Wow.. That's one long resolution, isn't it? Hope I made it to all of them :)
If you wanna join me for any of these, just let me know, all right?

Happy New Year 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment